LTTE's Suicide Blast in Habarana, Sri Lanka killing 0ver 100 Unarmed Navy Personnel -2006 October 15
Chronology of Suicide Bomb Attacks by LTTE Tamil Tiger Terrorists in Sri Lanka
LTTE exploded claymore mine again targeting a Navy convoy-Trincomalee - LTTE terrorists exploded another claymore mine targeting a Navy convoy at Sambalthivu (6th Post) in Trincomalee today, Tuesday the 17th of October. The explosion took place at 10.45 a.m today. However, the LTTE terrorist missed their target as the claymore was activated just after the convoy passed it. It is revealed that the claymore had been fixed on a Palmyra tree near by. No injuries were reported to naval personnel who were traveling in the convoy (Full report in Sri Lanka Defence Ministry).
United States Condemns Suicide Bombing in Sri Lanka - In a statement issued by the State Department of the United States its spokesman Sean McCormak said that the United States condemns the brutal suicide attack by the LTTE targeting unarmed naval personnel on yesterday. (Monday the 16th of October). LTTE terrorists rammed the naval convoy at Digampatana on Dambulla-Habarana main road with an explosive laden vehicle around 1.30p.m yesterday. The death toll of the attack has risen to 95 and the total number of injured personnel as being recorded by the hospitals is 116. The following is the full text of the statement: Press Statement; Sean McCormack, Spokesman, Washington, DC; October 16, 2006 - United States Condemns Suicide Bombing in Sri Lanka The United States condemns today's suicide attack near Habarana, Sri Lanka that killed more than 90 civilians and members of the Sri Lankan Navy. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families of the victims. Though there have been no claims of responsibility, this attack is in keeping with the tactics of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, a group long designated as Foreign Terrorist Organization by the Department of State. As we and others in the international community have made clear, the LTTE must renounce the use of terror. Only through the cessation of violence, a renewed commitment to peace talks, and constructive engagement by both sides can a political solution to this conflict be achieved (Full report in Sri Lanka Defence Ministry).
Annan Deplores 'Appalling' Suicide Bombing in Sri Lanka - Warning against a renewed civil war in Sri Lanka between the Government and Tamil separatists after the latest "appalling" suicide bombing of a convoy of military buses, United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan today called on the sides to return to the negotiation table. In a statement issued by his spokesman, Mr. Annan deplored the escalation of violence in the past several months, including today's bombing. "The Secretary-General stresses once again that a return to civil war will not resolve the conflict," the statement said. "He calls upon all parties to refrain from the use of force and to return to the negotiation table at the end of this month, as tentatively agreed between the Government of Sri Lanka and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)." (Full report in News Blaze).
France condemns Tiger suicide attack and urges both parties to resume talks - France today condemned the yesterday's LTTE suicide blast in Sri Lanka and requested all parties to stop violence and resume negotiations rapidly in order to reach a political solution. “The Sri Lankan conflict cannot be solved through weapons and only a negotiated political agreement can end it,” the French Embassy said in a statement. “France offers her heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims and hopes the numerous injuries will have a prompt recovery. France has been preoccupied by the continuous spiral of violence over the last weeks,” it said (Full report in Colombo Page).
Downer condemns Sri Lanka bombing - FOREIGN Minister Alexander Downer has condemned the suicide bombing in Sri Lanka that killed more than 100 people. The attack, the worst of its kind seen in the country, saw Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) fighters detonate a truck packed with explosives next to a convoy of buses packed with sailors. At least 103 people were killed and 150 wounded in yesterday's attack. Mr Downer tonight said Australia “strongly condemns” the bombing and was worried about the escalating violence in the country. “Australia is gravely concerned at the trend towards increasing violence in Sri Lanka,” he said. “This latest tragedy underlines the imperative for the parties to return to the negotiating table without further delay. “It is only through the cessation of violence and a negotiated settlement that a lasting solution is possible.” More than 2300 people have been killed in Sri Lanka in spiralling violence since December, putting an end to a truce agreed to in February 2002 between the Tigers rebels and the Government (Full report in News Com in Australia).
Aus, NZ condemn Lankan bombing - Australia and New Zealand have condemned a suicide bombing in Sri Lanka that killed at least 95 government troops. "I deplore this cowardly attack and convey my condolences to the government of Sri Lanka and the families and friends of those affected," New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark said in a statement. "There is no possible justification for such dreadful carnage". Australia's Foreign Minister Alexander Downer also condemned the attack, which he called a "deplorable act of terrorism." Downer blamed the LTTE for the attack, and urged both sides to return to the negotiating table. "Australia is gravely concerned at the trend towards increasing violence in Sri Lanka," Downer said in a statement. "It is only through the cessation of violence and a negotiated settlement that a lasting solution is possible". The Sri Lankan government blamed the insurgent LTTE for Monday's attack on a convoy of military buses transporting sailors from Trincomalee. The attack was one of the deadliest insurgent attacks since a 2002 cease-fire temporarily halted the country's 19-year civil war, and cast doubt on peace talks slated for later this month (Full report in NDTV).
Global community condemns LTTE suicide attack on unarmed sailors - COLOMBO: Fighter jets of the Sri Lanka Air Force hit identified LTTE targets in Mullaitivu and a military base in Mankulam as the international community closed ranks to raise their voice against the LTTE's barbaric suicide attack targeting unarmed sailors, killing 98 of them and wounding a hundred more. The United States in a statement issued on Monday condemned the suicide attack and made the LTTE responsible for the attack despite the fact that the LTTE had not claimed responsibility as usual. "Though there have been no claim of responsibility, this attack is in keeping with the tactics of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, a group long designated as Foreign Terrorist Organisation by the Department of State," Spokesman Sean McCormak said in press statement. "As we and the others in the international community have made clear, the LTTE must renounce the use of terror," McCormak said adding that "only through the cessation of violence, a renewed commitment to peace talks, and constructive engagement by both side can a political solution to this conflict be achieved" (Full report in Daily News).
Tigers unleash highnoon horror - Suicide blast in Habarana kills 94 unarmed Navy personnel, more than 100 injured - President orders immediate probe, despatches team of ministers to scene - Air Force pounds key Tiger base - LTTE says tit-for-tat attacks unavoidable - Govt. blames Tigers for attack, reiterates commitment to talks - A suspected LTTE truck bomber rammed into a navy convoy killing 94 unarmed sailors and injuring 116 others at a troop’s transit point at Digampathaha in Habarana yesterday afternoon. This alleged Tiger suicide attack made hours after the arrival of Japanese Special Peace Envoy Yasushi Akashi in the island, claimed the highest number of Navy casualties since the signing of the Ceasefire Agreement. “The victims were unarmed sailors, some returning home on vacation and the others returning for duty,” military spokesman Prasad Samarasinghe said. Military fears the death toll could rise as the recovery operation was still underway last evening. A senior police official in the area said a large number of sailors were at Digampathaha, when the truck laden with explosives rammed into the Navy buses around 1.45 p.m. Sailors gather at this point before leaving for Trincomalee and Colombo. The truck with suicide bombers had come from Dambulla and rammed into the convoy of buses when the sailors were boarding them, he said. The official said there were nearly 24 buses at the place and 340 sailors while 12 buses were damaged in the powerful explosion. The injured sailors were immediately airlifted to Colombo and nearby hospitals in two helicopters, the official said (Full report in Daily Mirror).
Nearly 100 sailors killed in LTTE suicide attack Barbaric act against unarmed Forces personnel - DIGAMPATHANA: Nearly one hundred sailors were killed and 116 including civilians were injured in a barbaric suicide attack by the LTTE by driving an explosives-laden truck targeting hundreds of unarmed Naval personnel at Digampathana on the Trincomalee-Habarana road. "It was a transit point for changing over sailors going on leave and those reporting to camps after leave. The sailors were resting before boarding the buses when the suicide cadres drove in," a Navy official describing the brutal attack said. According to Navy sources they used Digampathana as a transit point to give clearance for the Naval personnel coming from Colombo and Trincomalee before boarding into the Navy convoys coming from both directions. "An explosives-laden Canter truck from the direction of Dambulla exploded targeting those unarmed sailors going on leave and reporting for duty around 1.30 pm," a senior Navy officer told the Daily News. Around 70 sailors who received injuries in the explosion were rushed to Matale and Dambulla hospitals and those who were in critical condition were airlifted to Colombo National hospital by SLAF helicopters. There were around 15 buses in the convoy. The blast occurred around 1.30 p.m. when the suicide cadres in the Mitsubishi Canter blew up their deadly cargo. Navy sources said the transit point is changed frequently as a security measure and Digampathana was chosen as yesterday's meeting point of the convoys heading to and from Trincomalee. Police and Army units which rushed to the spot immediately afterwards began a cordon and search operation. "There is no doubt that the LTTE is behind this savage attack. They have now resorted to a truck bomb as effective surveillance led to the discovery of many claymore mines and other ambush devices," the Navy official said (Full report in Daily News).
LTTE suicide bomber kills 72 sailors, injures 70 - An LTTE suicide cadre driving a truck loaded with explosives, ploughed into a group of Naval personnel gathered to board buses at Diganpathana, in Habarana yesterday and triggered off an explosion killing 72 and injuring over 70. The condition of some of the injured is said to be serious. The truck was travelling from Dambulla. The incident occurred at 1.45 pm. It had been the practice for the Navy to change buses at Diganpathana. Naval personnel heading towards the Trincomalee base and those returning to the South from Trincomalee change into different buses at Habarana for security reasons. The LTTE has chosen this place to carry out its attack. Some Navel personnel had boarded the buses while the rest were out when the explosion took place. Four buses were also damaged in the explosion There were twelve buses there at the time of explosion. As this edition went to press the Navy was still searching for survivors. The injured were rushed to Polonnaruwa, Trincomalee, Dambulla and Habarana hospitals. Defence spokesman Minister Kheliya Rambukwella said the LTTE would never give up terrorism and this incident was the latest proof. However he was also of the view the Navy should have been much more careful and not chosen the same place over a period of time to change buses. Defence sources said since the truck came from the direction of Dambulla it was not suspected. A survivor said there was a small tea kiosk nearby and he had gone there to have a cup of tea when he heard the huge explosion. Security has been tightened in the area. This incident occured at a time when the Japanese Special Peace envoy Yasishi Akasi is in Sri Lanka (Full report in Island).
Government condemns brutal attack by the LTTE - The government of Sri Lanka (GOSL) condemns the brutal and the coward attack by the LTTE terrorists that claimed over 90 lives in Dmbulla today (Monday the 16th of October). President Mahinda Rajapakse extends his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims in the heinous crime. He also calls op on the citizens to act with restraint at this moment of grief and assures them every effort to defeat terrorism. The death toll of the attack has risen to 93 and the total number of injured personnel as being recorded by the hospitals is 116. The full text of the communiqu‚ issued by the Government's Information department is as follows: The Government of Sri Lanka is deeply shocked over the most ruthless and barbaric killing of more than 90 unarmed soldiers and injuring more than 100 others at Digampathana, Dambulla by the LTTE. The GOSL vehemently condemns the brutal killing by the LTTE and expresses condolences to the next of kin of the victims. The GOSL is all the more shocked over the LTTE's violent designs aimed at instigating a backlash by massacre of this nature in the Sinhala majority areas and selecting an area where the civilians are present. The attempt at instigating a backlash on the eve of the next round of peace negotiations clearly shows the evil designs of the LTTE to sabotage the internationally backed peace process. Initial investigations have proved that the LTTE suicide bombers rammed into a stationary vehicle convoy in which a large number of naval ratings were abroad. As they were proceeding on home leave, all of them were unarmed. Hence, the heinous act of the LTTE on unarmed men should be universally condemned. The peace facilitator, the co-chairs and the international community should take stock of the LTTE's most brutal act at a time when the dates for the next round of peace talks and the venue has been decided (Full report in Sri Lanka Defence Ministry).
LTTE's suicide attack at Habarana; Death toll rises to 92 - LTTE terrorists rammed the Naval convoy at Digampatana in Habarana with an explosive laden vehicle around 1.30p.m today (Monday the 16th of October). A huge explosion has occurred causing severe destruction to both naval personnel and the civilians in the area. According to the latest information available at least 92 naval personnel were killed and over 100 people suffered injuries in the explosion. The reports also say that there are number of civilian deaths and casualties reported due to the explosion. The naval convoy comprising 24 buses were at the Diagmpatana rendezvous point at the time of the attack. The location has been used by the Navy. Over 340 unarmed Naval personnel who were both going on leave and reporting back to duties were believed to be present at the location. The naval sources further said that 13 buses have also been severely damaged in the explosion. Hospital sources said five buses filled with the victims have reached the General hospital Dambulla. Those with critical injuries have immediately been air lifted to Colombo, Kurunegala and Kandy hospitals (Full report in Sri Lanka Defence Ministry).
Was “Dambulla Blast” Tit for Tat For Attack On LTTE Arms Trawler ? - AT LEAST 68 NAVY PERSONNEL on a convoy were feared killed and over 61 injured, in a powerful LTTE (Tamil Tigers) suicide attack in DIGAMPATANA this afternoon at about 1.45 p.m. after an LTTE Canter lorry terror stacked with high explosives rammed into the buses carrying them. Preliminary reports said that sailors proceeding both northbound and southbound either on duty or leave used to meet at this transit point near DIGAMPATANA between SIGIRIYA and DAMBULLA for logistical requirements and refreshments. The speeding LTTE’s Canter lorry, laden with high explosives was moving along the road at a breakneck speed towards HABARANA before it rammed into the convoy that was stationary at that point, triggering a huge blast that brought death and destruction. At the time this edition went to Press, at least six Naval buses in the convoy were ablaze but the reinforcements assisted by the Army and the Police were busy in dousing the spread of it and taking stock of the casualties. All 61 injured sailors have been rushed to DAMBULLA and MATALE Base Hospitals. Some of them were to be airlifted to COLOMBO National Hospital on medical advice. Preliminary investigations confirmed at least two LTTE suicide bombers would have been on the LTTE lorry that strayed into the sailors. It was only on Sunday (15) early morning, alert Naval troops off the sea in MANNAR destroyed one more LTTE arms trawler with several LTTE terrorists aboard the vessel (Full report in Sri Lanka Army).
|Tamil National Alliance's Raviraj feels sorry for poor Northern children - A parliamentarian representing the proxy political arm of the LTTE has expressed his utmost sympathy on the plight that has befallen the children living in the North while children of bigwigs live a very comfortable life abroad. Tamil National Alliance Jaffna district Parliamentarian N. Raviraj has disclosed that while even the LTTE leader Prabhakaran's children live a comfortable life abroad, poor Tamil children have to wait in long queues all day without even going to school to get a piece of bread. "This is the sad plight that has befallen thousands of children living in the country's North. While children of bigwigs live a plush comfortable life on foreign soil, including the children of LTTE leader Prabhakaran," he said (Full report in Asian Tribune).||
N. Raviraj M.P.: "This is the sad plight that has befallen thousands of children living in the country's North. While children of bigwigs live a plush comfortable life on foreign soil, including the children of LTTE leader Prabhakaran."
More and more news ............
Prabhakaran's daughter, Duwaraka is said to be pursuing a fast track course in English language to take up medical science course at the Dublin University. It is understood that a portion of LTTE sympathizer funds are being used to educate the children of the Tiger leadership abroad.
Back to Latest News from Sri Lanka on LTTE Tamil Tiger Terrorists